Friday, September 18, 2009

Writing

When I've finished writing something there is a period where I'm really satisfied with what I've created and I'm excited just by the concept that the words in my hand are my own. Then, I've read the story so many times in recent days as I polished the final draft, I don't really need to see those words again for awhile. In the case of a script I will come back to it when it is time to shoot, because I want desperately, to see those words come to life; but in the meantime I start to get distracted by other story ideas that I want to start writing.

Now is one of those times. I have a story idea that I've had sitting in my head for over a year now, and I know that I can't turn my consciousness towards it for at least another year, for multiple reasons. One of which, is that the story I've just written still needs to be shot, and deserves all of my conscious attention. The other reason, in the case of this particular new story, is that I know I still have a lot of life to live between now and when I can write this script well. So I continue to jot down story ideas, lines, character information and I put them all in a folder to be dealt with at a later date. But tonight I feel almost reminiscent of this story that doesn't exist. I wish I could read it now, I wish I could see what I will have written two years from now. I'm so excited about what it could be, but I know I have to wait. It's like I'm waiting for an album or a movie to come out, and I've heard the single or seen the trailer, but it will still be months until I get to have the whole thing. Only this feels worse, because I only have myself to blame for the fact that this story doesn't exist yet. But when it does exist, well, let's just say I can't wait. Unfortunately, I have to. Because I said so.

1 comment:

James said...

Interesting read. I relate somewhat, although I've never tried to write a script, but it's an exciting idea. Good luck with your future creations!